Go Back to Home Go Back to Home
Index - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups - Private Messages - Log in
2004-12 listserv_archive December

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciprian
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: 2004-12 listserv_archive December Reply with quote

From web@greenmap.org Thu Dec 9 13:20:04 2004
Date: Thu Dec 9 13:20:04 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] Green Map News

Hello Mapmakers!

2004 is almost over, and it has been another wonderful year* for Green Map System, thanks to each of you, and your dedicated efforts to help your community and the worldwide Green Map movement!

* the only downside has been a very tight budget!! Very tight! We request your 2004 Mapmaker Support Fees ASAP, and will be glad to send a copy of the Atlas CD ROM to all that contributed this year. We
are planning to mail lots of them next week, so it would be ideal to hear from you Today!

Many thanks to recent supporting level contributors to Green Map System: Justin of Toronto, Yoshihide of Toyota-City Japan, TJ of Seattle and Michelle of Elizabeth Watershed NJ USA. Thanks also to basic level supporters, too, Jesse of Houghton MI USA, Seattle Parks and Luzia of Porto Portugal.

We have updated the About Us section of the website, including the Store & Donate/Support this project pages (linked to the front page of http://greenmap.org). Please refer your friends, colleagues and donors to it -- and special thanks to all who have contributed Green Maps and Green City posters to sell there!

We have lots of new and exciting projects!
Youth projects in Dayton Ohio at the Loos School Science Club (led by Nancy Nerny), and the Inter-community School, Zurich Switzerland (led by Graham Gardner), plus youth will be involved with the
Elizabeth-Arthur Kill Watershed Green Map (this is New Jersey/New York, led by Michelle McBean at Future City). We have our first project in Wales at Swansea (led by Helen Grey of Sustainable
Swansea) and in Sanur Bali Indonsia (led by architect Fransiska Prihadi). Welcome to each of these new Mapmakers and best wishes -- we are now at 270 projects worldwide! We will be updating the website
with these newcomers this week.

We are busy preparing for our Board strategy session tomorrow, and look forward to working with all of you in 2005, which will be global Green Map System's 10th anniversary year! What is your wish for the
decade to come?

all the best, Wendy

From belg4mit@MIT.EDU Fri Dec 10 19:34:04 2004
Date: Fri Dec 10 19:34:04 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] Improving the Cartographic Quality and Design Process of Greenmaps

Hello all,

I've just completed the penultimate draft of my thesis "Improving the Cartographic Quality and Design Process of Greenmaps". Take a gander and let me know what you think. It's too late to address anything but the most glaring omissions or errors of course but feel free to submit any comments or discuss
it on the list.

http://web.mit.edu/belg4mit/Public/thesis-draft.pdf

Sincerely,

Jerrad Pierce

From belg4mit@MIT.EDU Sat Dec 11 15:22:01 2004
Date: Sat Dec 11 15:22:01 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] copyright

What license exactly are the icons available under? Or derivative works?
Have you examined some of the more liberal licenses such as those from the Creative Commons or the GNU Free Documentation License? I understand why GMS wants to control access to the icon suite, but if this is not done in a considered fashion it restricts what mapmakers can do as well. For instance, I'd like to place my thesis under as liberal a license as possible to allow whomever wishes access. However, because it uses the GMS icons this precludes the use of something like the Public Domain.

Jerrad

See http://creativecommons.org/ & http://opensource.org/licenses/index.php

From web@greenmap.org Sat Dec 11 17:48:55 2004
Date: Sat Dec 11 17:48:55 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] Copyright & Icon updating

>hi Jerrad,
>
>Glad you are getting your thesis done & nice that you have invited everyone to read it. I saw the last draft and and among other smart elements, I thought your innovative system of listing sites in a grid related to geographical location was very good. Research by students has always been valuable to the GMS and we hope to add a copy of your thesis to the archives so we all can continue to learn from it. We have already placed copies of the well-made, thoughtful Cambridge Green Map in the archives.

Regarding your question, I'm not a lawyer, but we had input from one, back in 1996 when they were first copyrighted as both Visual Art and Text -- this copyright was updated in 1999 when version 2 of the
Icons was released. As far as we know, the Green Map Icons predate the Creative Commons or the GNU Free Documentation License.

There has only been a bit of research into the CC or GNU license to date, but it did not seem an ideal fit with the need to protect the Icons from being used by potential "greenwashers" or those who might use them in a way that might damage the credibility of all Green Maps.

The copyrighted Icons are to be used only on registered Green Maps or materials that promote Green Maps. Can't they be accompanied by this statement (and our standard copyright phrase) when used in your
thesis? I'm would not be surprised if you find there are other documents in the CC or GNU license that include copyrighted elements. Please research that and let me know.

The Green Map Icons are the only universal symbol set for maps in the world. Some have suggested they be registered under the SIC, but I think this is the first discussion of the CC or GNU license.

Mapmakers, we are seeing another year pass without an updating of the Green Map Icons nor a really good review of all the local icons and suggestions made for symbols we need. We had 2 grant requests* turned
down for it, and were quite busy with the Atlas, the exhibit, Chinese initiative, community mapping booklet and many other projects. Some preliminary discussion has taken place in Hiroshima, where Sendai and
his students analyzed which Icons are being used most and least, and consideration of needs by Green Map Japan.

If there is a group of us that could start to review the progress to date and options for updating soon, I think it would be great. We can have a discussion in the Green Map Forum** --
http://greenmap.org/gm/forum/ -- in the collaborative projects section, and make significant progress very quickly -- If you are interested, please reply and also register in the Forum. This is a very important project, and needs dedicated Mapmakers to make it happen. Are you up for it?

many thanks, Wendy

* in addition to developing the new Icon set through an open process involving all Mapmakers, there is the work of illustrating and digitizing as font and GIFs, translation of set, poster (both multilingual printed version and single language digital versions), and the updating of related materials (such as definitions,
copyrights, etc). This took about a year last time. Can you help with this effort?

**Many other topics can be discussed in the Forum at the same time. It was set up this summer in response to Mapmaker requests by Cip in Constanta RO, but needs moderators for the various topic areas and
users to make it work. Try it out!

>What license exactly are the icons available under? Or derivative works?
>Have you examined some of the more liberal licenses such as those from
>the Creative Commons or the GNU Free Documentation License? I understand
>why GMS wants to control access to the icon suite, but if this is not done
>in a considered fashion it restricts what mapmakers can do as well. For
>instance, I'd like to place my thesis under as liberal a license as possible
>to allow whomever wishes access. However, because it uses the GMS icons
>this precludes the use of something like the Public Domain.
>
>Jerrad
>
>See http://creativecommons.org/ & http://opensource.org/licenses/index.php

From belg4mit@MIT.EDU Sun Dec 12 06:20:34 2004
Date: Sun Dec 12 06:20:34 2004

>The copyrighted Icons are to be used only on registered Green Maps or materials that promote Green Maps. Can't they be accompanied by this statement (and our standard copyright phrase) when used in your thesis?
That doesn't really address the question I asked. You're allowing registered mapmakers to use them, fine. But what I asked was about as a mapmaker, a second-hand rights holder, the ability to pass-on certain rights
to users of *my* work.

>I'm would not be surprised if you find there are other documents in the CC or GNU license that include copyrighted elements. Please research that and let me know.
Of course you would. These licenses are all reliant *upon* copyright, everything other than Public Domain. They simply dictate the bounds and restrictions. Likewise, any creative work is copyrighted whether explicit or not. It has been like this for sometime.

>The Green Map Icons are the only universal symbol set for maps in the world. Some have suggested they be registered under the SIC, but I think this is the first discussion of the CC or GNU license.
The existence of intermediaries, the map makers, leads me to believe that something like the creative commons sampling/remixing license might be close.
Where the idea is that the user (map makers) can sample the work (icon suite) and pass it on under their own license terms (restrictive "all rights reserved" through liberal copyleft). Afterall Creative Commons is closely tied to the "Illegal Art" show: http://creativecommons.org/getcontent/features/illegalart

A museum exhibit called "Illegal Art" might sound like a history of naughty pictures. Turns out that the exhibit (through July 25 at SF MOMA Artist's Gallery) is more innocuous than most primetime TV: A Mickey Mouse gasmask. Pez candy dispensers honoring fallen hip-hop stars. A litigious Little
Mermaid. Not kids' stuff, exactly--but illegal?

Copyright holders have threatened and sued many of the show's artists for sampling, remixing, and recontextualizing other people's artistic creations without permission. Featuring audio and visual exhibits, a full length CD, and several films, the show highlights how copyright, typically considered an
engine of creativity, can stifle art and free speech.

Again, I understand why you want to maintain control. But at the same time it seems quite reasonable that we should try to be as liberal in the area of "intellectual property" as we are in others.

From remyc@optonline.net Sun Dec 12 10:34:24 2004
Date: Sun Dec 12 10:34:24 2004

(Don't know if this will get on the GreenMap list, have never replied to this address before.)

GreenMaps are GreenMaps... but nowhere, I don't think, has anyone at GreenMap prevented anybody from taking creative license under "parody" which all these examples you mentioned (Mickey gasmask) fall into. I for one think it would be great if someone, like Adbusters, did a really goofy GreenMap...
Just as long as people out there "realize" it is not an "official" GreenMap. You know, like the Yes Men! The whole point of the thing is to let people in on the joke, otherwise what's the point, right?

I'm thinking of a time when the foresight of having created such a standardization for the icons will finally meet with online technology and enable hotlink triggers, for example, you're watching a TV show, you want to know where a green product is made or sold, touch the screen, touch the icon, and presto, you're there.
You can't do that if people out there start fussing around with the way the icons are designed, or decide to design their own. I always say, thank heaven for Bill Gates, otherwise we'd still be going fish or cut bait
instead of surfing the web all the way to China! (I can hear cringe!)

So I'm not quite sure I get Jerrad's point, maybe I'm missing it. When I see the wide variety of styles and graphic design of all the maps, the total lack of standardization in fact, with only these icons to hold this fragile quilt together, very much in evidence at the Urban Center, I can't help but tip my hat to Wendy for having created such a very, very flexible management network, something you'd be hard pressed to see if RandMcNally had decided to do a project like this.

I don't think Wendy or Greenmap is stopping anybody from taking artistic liberties with the "concept"... but if you want a map to be "in the system", then you have to abide by the shape of the plug-in.

This is a non-issue for me, unless I'm not getting it.- Remy C.

Remy Chevalier
Environmental Library Fund
25 Newtown Turnpike
Weston, CT 06883
203-227-2065
http://www.projectlu.com
http://www.greenburbs.com
http://www.electrifyingtimes.com

From web@greenmap.org Mon Dec 13 15:28:09 2004
Date: Mon Dec 13 15:28:09 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] Student Green Map Showcase
Hello Mapmakers, this is a good place to showcase student Green Maps
--- please visit the website & follow up directly with them!

all the best, Wendy

MyCOE Now Accepting Student Projects

My Community, Our Earth (MyCOE): Geographic Learning for Sustainable Development is now accepting student project submissions. Youth from middle school, secondary school, or university levels are invited to
work as individuals or teams to create a project that applies geographic methods, map information, analyze problems, and design solutions; they can also earn recognition at national and international exhibits. MyCOE provides materials and mentoring network of 500 volunteer experts from 65 countries to support
projects. The deadline for student project submissions is March 1, 2005.

To learn more about starting a project, visit
<http://www.geography.org/sustainable/youth>www.geography.org/sustainable/youth on the Web. MyCOE is also seeking volunteer mentors to assists students with project submissions. If you are interested in
learning more about being a MyCOE mentor, visit <http://www.geography.org/sustainable/mentors/index.cfm>www.geography.org/sustainable/mentors/index.cfm on the Web. In 2003-05, MyCOE is coordinating its activities with United Nations Decade of Education
for Sustainable Development. The Association of American Geographers serves as secretariat for MyCOE.

From web@greenmap.org Tue Dec 28 13:46:05 2004
Date: Tue Dec 28 13:46:05 2004
Subject: [GreenMap] Mapmakers are OK in SE Asia

Hello Mapmakers,

With all the bad news coming in the wake of the deadly tsunami, we wanted to pass along some good news-- so far, Mapmakers in the tsumani zone seem to be OK. We are all thinking about the victims...

We hope everyone stays safe and healthy, productive and sustainable in the coming year. warmly, Wendy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GMSforum Forum Index -> List Archives > 2004 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: