Green Map System has a handy webapp mapping out green living resources on the go!
• At a green place that should be on the Green Map? Map it fast!!
M.OpenGreenMap.org is our new Mobile Site Collector. This webapp makes it easy to collect, photograph and chart green sites on to Open Green Maps while on location, even in areas without wifi.
Green Mapmakers, residents and tourists can collect sites on smart phones, tablets and desktop. The Mobile Site Collector comes in 13 languages, with complete instructions in each! Every new site is moderated by the local Mapmaker – you will receive confirmation when your site gets on the map. The interactive map can be embedded in any website!
Share your Collector experience on Twitter with the world at twitter.com/GreenMap. Share map links, photos, events and daily discoveries!
This video shares how it works. Basically, select your language under the Gear. Tap the Question Mark to read the FAQ in your language on M.OpenGreenMap.org. Add a site at the Plus!
Thanks to Green Mapmakers, the Collector's languages currently include Arabic, Chinese - simplified, Chinese - traditional, English, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, and Swedish!
Get your banner and graphics here – download English (4MB), Chinese - simplified (1.5MB), Chinese - traditional (1.5MB), and Romanian (1MB)! We'll add more graphic and outreach resources soon!
Collector Workshop Guide
Based on our recent workshop using the new mobile Site Collector to chart sites around the United Nations District, we have a Workshop Guide. Very handy for making your event go smoothly! Download the initial version here - it's a .doc so you can adapt it. We’d love to add your experience to it.
Quick Mobile Site Collector Tips
• Don’t forget the m in the url -- M.OpenGreenMap.org
• Open Green Maps must be in ‘public’ mode to use on the Collector*
• If you cannot see the icons or have other issues, add this website to your Home Screen, and use it from there
• Photos taken with the Collector are not saved on your phone
• If you plan to collect sites in an area without wifi, open the Collector before you go out, then use it offline - it will store your sites to upload later (there's a small text link on the front page to click once you are in wifi zone)
• Everything can be edited once it’s on the map!
• #MobiGreenMap - share your outcomes on Twitter and on the Survey
Special Thanks to:
Collector created for Green Map System by
Project Manager: Ciprian Samoilã, Asociatia Harta Verde Romania
Web Developer: Bogdan Szabo
Translators: Ben Andersen • Yu-Chang • Choi, WonSun • Youness Chtaini • André Guilherme • Olivier Hoessly • Bernice Keshet • Yutaka Nakashima • Aruna Reddig • Ciprian Samoilã • Lama Tawk • HanLu Zhang
Project Support: Wendy Brawer • Eric Goldhagen • Walter E. Perry • Thomas Turnbull
Video by Barbara Ross & Piki, graphics by Li Tang
M.GreenMap.org Credits go to Openflows, Thomas Turnbull, Taylor Baybutt, the 2012 Google 24Hours of Good Team Cumulonimbus and many others who have pitched on design, development and funding.
Wondering about our iPhone App? It’s now offline, in favor of the accessible to all webapps described above. Thanks to all who helped it win a Treehugger Best of Green 2011 award in Science and Technology, and accolades for Open Green Map and its mobile tools from the Papanek Social Design Awards, the NetSquared Invitational and many other awards. Some of the comments below refer to these earlier versions.
- *Your “private” map must be made public if you want to use it on the Collector. Login, Edit Map, then uncheck Private just above Map Zoom Level. It can take a day to refresh, so plan ahead!
- The Map List is by proximity, based on map's centerpoint. If you can’t find the map you want, make sure Location is turned on on your device (iPhone settings> privacy>location services and choose Safari); or check Preferences for desktop browser.
- You can also clear the cache - Settings>Safari> Clear History, Clear Cookies, and restart phone.
- Some older browsers will only let you add the photo when you click Submit. Others just don’t work! Test yours before making a presentation, and update your browser if need be.
- Add your comments and suggestions to the Survey
- If you are really stuck, ask for help – info at greenmap.org!
Our mobile offerings continually evolve to share better ways of exploring how Green Maps connect community and sustainability resources together. This page was created when our first mobile tool went live, and continues to evolve.
Right now, other than the Collector, our mobile tools are not optimized. However, using an iterative design philosophy ‘MVP’, we expect to keep building based on what users really need. Have something to share? Here’s the Survey!
At GreenMap.org/donate you can help us keep these resources free, up to date and ready to inspire, inform and activate a healthier, greener future for all.