As the solstice approaches, we have some inspiring news to share with you -
60 Countries! Yes – Green Maps are now being made in over 60 countries! Join us in welcoming:
Belgium, the Gambia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Serbia and Montenegro, Tibet and Turkey!
We are delighted to have such a diverse representation be included in our ever-growing list of locally-led Green Map projects. It’s a testament to the flexibility of our experiential, interactive and traditional mapmaking resources that lead to fresh new Green Maps that change perspectives, motivate action and support the greening of local economies.
It’s also a positive indicator of the value of your support. Our incredibly efficient nonprofit can assure you that your generous, tax deductible donation makes a meaningful difference for so many communities and initiatives around the world. We encourage you to give today.
We are committed to inclusive participation and to creating the very best tools for our growing global network. Our roster of new participating countries, exciting new partnerships, and recognition by prestigious social media and design awards affirms that we are on the right track.
2012 is shaping up to be a high impact year. We are extending our award-winning iconography to encourage more ‘theme Green Maps’ covering local food and energy resources, culture and ecotourism, informal education and climate justice. We’re exploring open source for ongoing development and sharing. We’re preparing for another surge in participation as the Earth Summit - Rio+20 and social movements like Occupy ignites new passion for the environment.
Your support means we can effectively address every opportunity to support local leaders working for a healthier local environment and global climate! There are many ways to help - Green Map System is a nonProfit 501c3 with great ways to support this work online or by mail to 220A East 4th Street, New York, NY USA 10009. We are also:
• a 1% for the Planet recipient
• a Global Giving Superstar selected for 2011’s 31 Days of Giving
• recipient of a 5 Star review rating on Guidestar
Some of 2011’s highlights:
• There are now over 700 published Green Maps, including 225 interactive Open Green Maps, and about 500 unique printed editions, each informing a growing audience.
• Among the many new features on the Open Green Map platform, two more interfaces, Japanese and Romanian, have been added to the six languages already in use. We also added the ability to Suggest a Site by mobile phone – click GreenMap.org when you visit places you appreciate and get them on the Green Map!
• Green Map System has received new and honors this year, including Treehugger Best of Green for our Mobile App, and we received one of the first of the Victor J Papanek Social Design Awards! We were also selected by DesigNYC for a probono remake of our Green Map NYC website. Watch for its debut in Spring 2012 – part of our 20th Anniversary celebration.
• We’re part of new partnerships, including Local Spokes, which is engaging a new vision for bicycling in our home community of the Lower East Side and Chinatown; Sustainable Jersey, a terrific ‘LEED for communities’ program; the exciting new Community Mapping Collaboratory based at University of Victoria in Canada; New York City Climate Coalition which is networking solutions to reduce impacts and more.
Locally and globally – there’s much at stake and so much we can accomplish with your help. On behalf of the entire global network and everyone in our NYC office, we thank you for your generosity! We're wishing you the best for the solstice, holiday season and New Year.