- January 11, 2021
Type of Project:
Theme of Project:
- Think global, map social!
Location Description:Developed in Berlin and NYC
Story created by Green Map System on May 11, 2021
Introducing OGM2 - this open source mapping platform is the second version of the Open Green Map. It's loaded with new features and flexibilities, and while OGM2 is still in Beta, you can create your own Green Map now at new.opengreenmap.org!
OGM2 is being developed for and with us by the GIS Collective - check out the Tutorials (text and video).
• Thinking of making a map? Join a Live Demo + New Features - next is TBA. June 2021's discussion includes new search, dashboard, and even a sneak preview! The OGM2 Demo-Discussion (Apr 17, 2021), features Campaigns, the fast, flexible new way to collect sites from the public, watch it here. Or watch the OGM2 Demo and discussion Video on our YouTube channel from February 2021. Demos always include the newest features (you can see the developers' list here)!
• Interested in technology? Watch the recorded #OpenDataDay presentation from March 9, 2021 with the GIS Collective, FEEDJeffCo and Green Map System. There's an excellent segment on managing a new mapping project by Mary Hunt (19:37); she is preceded by Wendy Brawer and Alexandra Casapu and Bogdan Szabo with background on this mapping movement and the new platform (pdf).
• OGM2 features the 170 Green Map Icons, like our first platform. It allows users to add their own icons, which can be mixed with other sets on OGM2, including the UN SDGs and our own Recovery Icons. New in draft - Local Food icons!
• Multiple icons can be used on each site (point), route (line) or area (polygon) on your map - this greatly expands each map's potential! (see test map)
• Multiple images can enhance each site, route or area's description. Sound files (mp3) can be added too!
• Yes, you can upload existing data in several formats and you can export your data, too
• Embed OGM2 maps and display on your own website.
• Yes, it's free for all non-commercial users!
• You can manage your Map Team(s) with 4 levels of permissions.
• OGM2 can be used on smartphones, notebooks, tablets and desktops.
• The interface is available in English, French, Spanish and Romanian now, with more languages to come.
• OGM2 uses Open Street Map and offers Stamen Design's Toner and Terrain. Your unique base maps can be added, too.
Use OGM2 to make an interactive Green Map of your city! You can request our help or come to a demo-discussion (posted on Twitter @greenmap).